Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Life's Mission

Someday I'll write another post that includes pictures. But not today. =)
This title might have led you to believe that this would possibly be a deep and uplifting post. If that's what you're hoping for, you might want to look at someone else's blog this time--I'm in more of a silly mood today. =) My thoughts are real, and I mean what I'm going to say, but there's a lot of humor to be found in all of this as well.
I discovered my life's mission years ago. At first I wasn't too thrilled about it, because it required me to go through many, many humbling moments. But once I came to grips with it I decided I could and should go ahead and embrace it. Some of my friends have already heard me say it, so I'm going ahead and sharing it publicly:
I was put on this earth to make other people feel better.
It's true, and I've proven it time and time again.
If your house is a mess, come over to mine. You'll leave feeling better. Guaranteed.
If your child's hair hasn't been combed yet today, I can top your story.
If you arrive late to a function, you can count on me to be just a few minutes behind you.
If you made a stupid comment that is horribly embarrassing to think about, give me a couple hours of your time and I'll share a few of mine with you. Maybe I'll just go ahead and post them sometime, for the whole world to enjoy....? =)
I could go on and on with examples, but what it comes down to is:
I'm perpetually a day late and a dollar short.
per·pet·u·al (pr-pch-l)
adj.
1. Lasting for eternity.
2. Continuing or lasting for an indefinitely long time.

(Just decided to throw a quick definition in) =)

I've worked my whole life to try to dig my way out of being the way I am. I've read books, I've devised new strategies, I've prayed, I've tried to try harder. Sometimes I can "get it together" for a day or two--even up to a week!--but sooner or later I'm back to the same old me.

But just this morning a friend called me and said she just needed to talk to me because I always make her feel better. She said she can always relate to me. And I was reminded about my life's mission, and the fact that, in all my moments of embarrassment and even deep humiliation, I've had opportunities to make others feel better. I really think that I'm one person no one has to feel intimidated by. And maybe in all my struggles there's a hidden gift underneath it all, that has given me the ability to relate to the things others are dealing with. I have no room to ever judge other people who can't seem to "get it together." And I hope that they feel that, and know that I understand.

So for today I'm reminded that I need to embrace what I've been given, and to view it from a different angle. For me, life will probably never consist of looking my best, being organized, saying all the right things in just the right ways, and inspiring others to want to be like me. Instead it will be a series of opportunities to show others that life is about continuing to try, and that a perpetual ;-) sinkful of dishes doesn't mean you can't still have fun.

So the next time you need to feel better, give me a call. I'll have a story ready for you! =)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodnes Jenni... I am 110% SURE that you have it WAY more together than me.

P.S. I'm a little intimidated by you. :)

Wendy Phelps said...

How interesting that you view yourself this way. I have always really admired you. I don't think anyone has it all together. My friends who have super clean houses, also have no toys and kids that HAVE to play outside. They are also not allowed to have extras over. I will take my wild and chaotic home with mess and clutter over anyones super clean one. There is a time and a season for everything. My children are growing up to be happy healthy adults. Everything else is less important. EVERYONE struggles with issues. If you think someone has it all together, you just don't know them well enough. I always ask myself, "Is it going to matter 10 years from now?" Jen, you do have it all together. Everything that is going to matter 10 years from now, that is.

Shari Tate said...

ahhhhh Jenni!

You do keep going back to this don't you, well, I have a different perspective of you entirely.

Probably the first word that comes to mind if I had to describe you in one word, is HUMBLE, in every way.

Another....NON-Judgemental

Another....Loving

Another .... Positive thinking, very very rarely negative

Another....always puts others above herself....always

You always give everyone the benefit of the doubt, that is why people cleave unto you...not because we think your faults are like ours, not because we need to talk to someone that has a dirty house, but because we will always be treated with love and a great listener that sometimes MAKES her life seem like ours just to make us feel better!

You are one in a million Jenni, I'm so grateful you are a part of my family!

And now, after all of these wonderful comments, Jenni is going to get embarrassed and say, "ok, I didn't say this so everyone would make such awesome comments about me! I REALLY MEANT IT! LOL but we mean it to!

Crissie said...

I agree with Shari. :)

Oh, and thanks for letting me share your dinner time story in my talk. Everyone enjoyed it. :)

Eldredge Family said...

Jenni,

I love you dearly! I felt comfortable to have you in my home when it looked like a mack truck had ran into it! I knew that you were not judging my home or me. I felt loved and cared for! Thank you so much.

Melody said...

Oh, Jenni, reading this just made me smile thinking back to all the memories of serving in primary together and the times you would say this very thing. And you really believe it! I just love you. :)