Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dr. Dad

Rob taught the "fishing" merit badge to his scouts a few weeks ago, and told me after he cleaned up his tackle box that he was pretty sure he had lost one of his hooks. A couple days later, sure enough, Spencer went running through the family room and suddenly started jumping and yelling, "Ow! Ow! Ow!" When I said, "Oh, yeah--Dad lost one of his fishing hooks," Spencer smiled and said, "Well, I guess I found it!" (Amazingly, he was still able to keep his sense of humor.)
He hung out on the couch til Rob got home to help us deal with the situation. Unfortunately, fish hooks can only go one direction... so Rob broke the news to Spencer that the hook would have to be pushed the rest of the way through. Chase was very sympathetic--and very interested--as he watched Spencer's bravery. No picture could really do justice to what Spencer had to endure (if you click on this picture and look closely at Spencer's face, it will give you a small glimpse, though). I started to offer some advice from my experiences in labor (relax... breathe in deep... breathe out slowly...) but then I just decided to shut up. =) Spencer has again shown us that he is one tough kid!!!

1 comment:

Shari Tate said...

At first, we started laughing...remembering you telling us this story last Sunday...but when you click on the picture and see his face, I almost cried for him! Spencer is AMAZING!