Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Best Guy in the World


Today as we were driving in the car Chase said, "Dad is the best guy in the world!" The other kids and I just had to agree.
I met this guy over 21 years ago, at a Family New Year's Eve party I tagged along to with my BFF, his cousin Wendi. (He & I would both later say that our first impressions of each other would never have led us to believe we'd end up married!)

A few months later, in a moment of desparation, he called me for a date. He had a Priests mutual activity that he had to bring a date to, so he called up his BCF Wendi to get the number for that girl who came to the family party. (She would have to do.) =)
The mutual activity was a beach cookout at Val Vista Lakes, and it was fun. Apparently he had enough fun that he decided to ask the girl out again, a few months later, for his (Gilbert HS) Homecoming.
I remember that night was the the beginnings of a connection with this guy. Homecoming was held at Burke Elementary School, and when we had had enough dancing, we went out and sat on the playground swings and chatted. I remember him talking about his Grandpa Tate, who was suffering from Alzheimer's. I remember how tough he tried to be as he talked about it all, but I caught some glimpses of how it was really tearing his heart out. He had a special relationship with his Grandpa. We talked about some funny things too, and I got to see what a fun sense of humor he had.
From there we started spending more time together... dating more... (This is one of my favorite pictures from that time in our lives.) One thing we often did was go together and donate blood (hence the bandage on his arm). Soooo romantic, I know! Stephenie Meyer would have a hayday with that one! I know it was really more one of my favorite things to do than his, but he obliged me... (because he's the best guy in the world).
I look at this picture and the memories come flooding back. That smile... those puppy-dog eyes... his Chevy Blazer... that smile... the parking lot of the Goodwill downtown (why the heck were we stopped there???)... that trim, fit, muscular tennis player he was (Oh, BABY!!!)... that smile... (did I already say that???) Man, those were some good times!!!
And here we are, 17 years of marriage & 6 kiddos later... and the best guy in the world is still mine. And will be for eternity. It just doesn't get any better than that.
Thanks, Honey, from all of us, for being the best guy in the world. For loving us, providing for us, teasing us, teaching us, and giving us a wonderful example to follow.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO THE BEST GUY IN THE WORLD!!!
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

i LOVE it! and i totally relate!!i've got my own version of "that guy"! who would've thunk it? perfection in a man!?