Friday, February 26, 2010

Crushes

Last night as the kids were in bed but not yet asleep I heard a little bit of a conversation going on. The first part I tuned into was Spencer jokingly saying, "I have a crush on girls." Then Kaybree said, "I have a crush on boys." Then Chase said, "I have a crush on Mom." Spencer and Kaybree then quickly took the opportunity to tell him he shouldn't have a crush on his mom... but before they could get very far I decided to join the conversation. I called to them (from my bedroom), "It's okay, cuz I have a crush on him too."
{{{Giggles}}} I'm sure they hadn't realized I was listening, but they liked my response. Chase especially liked it. =)
I remember similar conversations with Blake and Spencer when they were little--and even my own little brother, who's now in his 30's. It seems to be a normal occurrence for little boys to have crushes on their moms/sisters/aunts/cousins, and for little girls to also love their daddies/brothers/uncles/cousins when they're young and innocent. I don't remember hearing of too many who don't eventually outgrow it. ;-)
So, while it lasts, I'll choose to be flattered and honored to be the "current crush" in my little boy's life. I know the day will come all too soon when he'll find it's time for an "upgrade"!

6 comments:

Julie Butler said...

Not sure it is possible to UPgrade from his sweet mom. THey don't come much better. At least he has good taste.

Gardners said...

They never lose that crush! It just becomes "secret" :). SO CUTE!

Shari Tate said...

AH LOVE IT!!

Love your kiddo's so much!

Miss Niss said...

thats so cute!!! we need to get the kids together again...my girls are missing their friends:)

Rosalyn Francis said...

I love it, I do! My little guy is on the verge of growing out of loving me like that. . I miss you girl!

Tom and Sue said...

Oh Jenni! I just got a BIG shot of sweetness from your blog! It's been too long since I've been on here, and I just kept on reading, and reading and reading! You have such sweet stories and pictures of your cute family! Someday you'll be so glad for the things your recorded...for now, thanks for sharing them with me! Miss you!!!!!