Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Making Boys into Men

Rob has been the Scoutmaster in our ward for just over a year now. He currently has 22 scouts in his troop. They've split into two deacons quorums for Sundays, but on mutual nights they all still meet together.
Our Stake Young Men's President spoke at a fireside for the boys and parents awhile back and made a statement that really stuck with me. I have to paraphrase, but he basically said, "Parents, please allow us to give your boys the kinds of experiences that will help them become men." He talked about experiences from his own youth: Experiences with very hard work, hikes that made boys cry,... and how he now looks back on those experiences with gratitude for the strength he gained.
Our scouts recently went on a snow campout and 17 of the 22 boys came. When the boys requested this snow campout awhile back, Rob honored their request despite his fears that they wouldn't enjoy it. (One of the main objectives of a scout leader needs to be shadow leadership--allowing the boys to carry out their own plans, not simply the plans of the leaders--so Rob let them go for it.) So off they went in January, 4 leaders and 17 boys, to camp out on the ground, in the snow, in front of Rob's parents' cabin.
Long story short, it was a miserable time had by almost all. Boys were crying, feet felt frostbitten, some shivered all night... One boy was crying at home before they even left on the campout, not wanting to go; but he was finally persuaded to come. I'm sure he regretted it. But, silly boys that they are, some have recently asked if they can plan another one!!! (It won't happen, since it's already February now, but still funny that they asked!)
The boys also recently had the opportunity to carry out a service project for sweet Sis. Yvonne White in our ward, an elderly sister who is in a wheelchair. She needed a pathway for her wheelchair to enable her to get to the back of her property. So on a Tuesday evening they went over and got it done for her. She was so appreciative and said they even made it look so "artistic."
In these pictures it appears that Bro. Reed is doing all the work and the boys are standing around "supervising." And of course Rob was behind the camera, so he's not in the pictures at all. But I'm sure these pictures don't reflect all that went on that evening.
I see these boys--including my own sons--benefiting from the efforts of wonderful Young Men's leaders, and I'm so grateful for the time and energy these men invest in carrying out their callings. Having never been a boy myself, things like knife-making, animal skinning, etc., just don't cross my mind; even if they did, where in the world would I find the time to explore these interests with them? And no matter how hard I tried, I would never be able to be an example of a righteous Priesthood holder. As a mom, there's no way I could even begin to think of all the things my sons need to know before they leave home. I can do all in my power as their mother, but I'm so grateful for the people and programs available to support my sons in becoming the men they will one day be. It truly takes a village to raise a child--and faithful Priesthood holders to make boys into men.



No comments: