Friday, February 12, 2010

Driving Mr. Chase



This morning Chase was very anxious to deliver his Toy Story Valentines to his friends. He carefully wrote his name on each one, inserted the pencils they came with, and off we went. We drove around to his friends' homes, I stayed in the car so as not to detract from his sense of independence (and with hopes that I might not be seen in my frumpy sweats state), and he was on top of the world by the time we finished.


As this magic transformation came over him I started writing down his comments. After giving out his 4th Valentine he came running back to the car and exclaimed, "And I bet I'm not even being shy today, cuz, they're saying 'Thank you' and I'm saying 'You're welcome'!!!" He was also thrilled beyond belief at the fact that several friends had Valentines with treats for him! He said, "Mom, I can't believe they're giving us treats back!" (Especially when the valentines we're giving only come with a pencil! Heckuva deal, I must say!!!)



One of his friends gave him a Fruit by the Foot, and as he opened it to eat while we drove to the next house he was amazed at how long it was. He still pointed out, though, that, "This is deftalently NOT bigger than me!" (I'm so glad he hasn't lost the deftalently quite yet!)


After he finished the FBTF he stated matter-of-factly, "We're gonna have to go home." His hands were sticky and he can't stand being sticky. Before I even had the chance to offer an easier solution (like a wipee), he said, "I know just the thing, actually... Licking my hands off!" He was delighted with his discovery. (I loved the "just the thing"--and I love his occasional "actually" he throws in! Wonder where he'd get that...?) =)


One friend wasn't home, so he stuck the Valentine in the door, turned around to head back to the car, and said with a smile, "I give up!"


As we headed back home he said, "Mom, I think Jesus is thankful for me giving these to people."
Doesn't that just sum it all up right there? The whole point of every little thing we do--from giving out simple Valentines to performing major acts of service. Sign me up to chauffeur any day. It was time well spent.

1 comment:

Shari Tate said...

You are such an amazing mom!

Love that kid!